HPCE2 Virtual Surgery

HPC-news portal a hpc.cineca.it
Mar 2 Nov 2010 12:34:17 CET

HPC User Support (hpc.cineca.it)

======== HPCE2 VIRTUAL SURGERY ===============================================

Dear all,
this is to inform you that, due to tecnichal problems, the Virtual surgery
about "High performance visualization of scientific data with MPI and CUDA"
hosted by me and Claudio has been postponed until tomorrow November 3rd,
15:00 CEST.

It is possible to follow the virtual surgery from all the HPC-Europa2 TA
centre:
CINECA http://www.cineca.it/en (Bologna), BSC http://www.bsc.es/ (Barcelona),
EPCC http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/ (Edinburgh), HLRS http://www.hlrs.de/
(Stuttgart), GENCI-CINES http://www.genci.fr/ (Paris), SARA
http://www.sara.nl/index.html (Amsterdam) and CSC http://www.csc.fi/english
(Helsinki).

I remind you the abstract of the topic:
The scientific community is presently witnessing an unprecedented growth in
the quality and quantity of data
sets coming from simulations and real-world experiments. To access
effectively and extract the scientific content of
such large-scale data sets (often sizes are measured in hundreds or even
millions of Gigabytes) appropriate tools are
needed. Visual data exploration and discovery is a robust approach for
rapidly and intuitively inspecting large-scale
data sets, e.g. for identifying new features and patterns or isolating small
regions of interest within which to apply
time-consuming algorithms. This talk presents a high performance parallelized
implementation of Splotch, our visual data exploration and discovery
algorithm for large-scale astrophysical data sets coming from particle-based
simulations. Splotch has been improved in order to exploit modern massively
parallel architectures, e.g. multicore CPUs and CUDA-enabled GPUs. We present
performance and scalability benchmarks on a number of test cases,
demonstrating the ability of our high performance parallelized Splotch to
handle efficiently large-scale data sets, such as the outputs of the
Millennium II simulation, the largest cosmological simulation ever performed.

Regards
    Marzia Rivi

--
Dr. Marzia Rivi Ph.D.