School on scientific data

Claudio Gheller c.gheller a cineca.it
Ven 5 Mar 2010 15:34:35 CET

Dear friends,
on March 15-16 we will organize a introductory school on SCIENTIFIC DATA MANAGEMENT AND ACCESS. As you will read below, the school is addressed to researchers in the field of Turbulence. However, the proposed topics and solutions (sse the program at http://mp0806.cineca.it) are suitable for most branches of science. If you are interested and you want to attend, you can send me an e-mail (notice we can host a maximum number of 30-35 people).

State of the art computational and experimental studies requires massive resources and do often produce large quantity of data. On the other hand, the information which can be extracted from these databases can be enormous and the possibility to share the data with the larger scientific community would help maximizing the scientific outcome.

In the context of the MP0806 COST Action "Particles in turbulence" research groups in 21 countries envisaged the wish to:

1 - develop an unified data-format for what concerns the recording of trajectories of particles in turbulent flows, so to ease scientific exchanges and collaborations;
2 - improve a lightweight and easy to use distributed database, to facilitates sharing and accessing of large scientific datasets worldwide.

A COST training school will be held at CINECA during the 15th and 16th of March.
The school is organized by and targeted at scientists with experience and/or interest in production, use or sharing of large amount of raw scientific data.
The school is open to the interested public. All interested participants are however requested to notify their interest to Claudio Gheller ( c.gheller a cineca.it ).

More information on the COST Action MP0806: http://mp0806.cineca.it/
A beta release of the distributed scientific database of raw data: http://mp0806.cineca.it/icfd.php

Federico Toschi & Claudio Gheller

--